castellano  /  english  /  français  /    中文  /  HOME CONTACT US

La Escalinata

Photographic show of different places of the city.
Move the mouse over the images to zoom in.


Mudejar, World Heritage > The neomudejar

the neomudejar


When at the beginning of the 20th century modernism becomes important with new buildings that are built in Teruel, architects are largely inspired by the mudejar, the most genuine art that had developed in the city during the middle ages. This architectural style is known as Neo-mudejar and we can find an important catalog of it in the tour through the streets of Teruel.

In 1909, Pablo Monguió from Tarragona, the most representative architect of the time projected a new door for the Cathedral in its South front. This construction marked the beginning of the neo-mudejar constructions in Teruel. To the use of brick as a decorative element and the glazed ceramic, he joined a florida forge output of Matias Abbot workshop.

La Escalinata (Staircase) was opened in 1921. It was a functional work that served to save the strong unevenness between the railway station and the historic center. It was conceived so that travellers arriving to Teruel by the new means of transport would have a worthy image of the city. The civil engineer Mr. José Torán de la Rad, was the designer of the project and he knew how to mix mudejar elements with ironwork ones beautifully. Thanks to its great harmony and the suitable use of its elements, it can be considered, as well as the gate of the Cathedral, as the most representative work of the neo-Mudejar Art in Teruel. At the top of its route there is an altarpiece of the Amantes attached, high relief and stone, by the sculptor Aniceto Marinas. The Government of Aragón declared it as an asset of cultural interest.

Most of the buildings categorized as modernist have traces neo-mudejar in its ornaments. You only have to watch some buildings such as San Nicolas de Bari built in 1909, in Dolores Romero Street, to notice evidence of this trend. Another example is the old school Arrabal (1912) that is the Historical Archive today and it is situated in the Ronda Dámaso Torán. In the little house of the Province Hospital (1915) in Zaragoza avenue, the brick is used to continue with the most representative style in the city. The turret balcony in the Casino (1922) in San Juan square is taking into account. The building of Sanidad (1960) in the first Ensanche not also uses the bricks but also the ceramics. The bullring (1935) is possibly, the same that happens in other bullrings of that time, a representative example of the introduction of neo-mudejar elements in the modernist architecture in a later period.

© 2021 Ayuntamiento de Teruel. Servicio de Turismo. | Plaza de la Catedral, 1 44001 Teruel Telf./Fax.: 978 62 41 05 |
Legal information |  Web map |  Data protection